*Written on Wednesday*
Trying not to feel a bit sorry for myself as I sit here in a sort of “quarantine” from work. I went home sick yesterday, feeling incredibly dizzy and lightheaded, with a really low temp and blood pressure. Lauren came home from work with a message from our supervisor that she “doesn’t want to see my face at work on Wednesday” and that I’m to stay home and in bed. Okay, fine. Except I get stir crazy after about 2 hours in the house. I realize though that by trying to be a martyr and going to work I could be potentially endangering those I work with, as their immune systems aren’t that strong, so I get her logic. I’m just hating not being at work and feeling useless, though as I’m not feeling 100% it’s not the worst idea to stay at home.
This past weekend was truly a gem. Friday night we hosted a Girls’ Night, complete with 7 lovely ladies that we’ve been lucky to become friends with her, and loads of red wine, chocolate dessert (highlights include a handmade Guinness cake, yoghurt cake, and 3 chocolate mousse cakes!), and plenty of nail varnish. Incredibly girly, and incredibly needed. Made me very much miss my female friends from back home, though I’m glad to have found support in these women during my time here.
 |
| The amazing nail varnish collection at Girls' night! |
|
|
 |
| Please notice al the desserts, red wine and nail polish. Bliss! | | | | |
|
 |
| Prudence and myself showcasing our nails, complete with stickers. | | |
|
|
Saturday we went to a braai at our friend Hatim’s place, and it was one of those late summer days with huge fluffy clouds in the sky and a slight chill in the air, and it was just an absolute blast. Hatim works at the American school, so I met some cool Americans- one was from Massachusetts, holla! Overall we just ate good food and relaxed, really a great time. I feel like I should also admit that Lauren and I then went to go see the movie This Means War for the second time, mostly for the eye candy. Movies here are just SO CHEAP that it’s hard not to see a movie twice, especially with such attractive actors.
 |
| My Chilean friend Alfonso was stoked about the Easter egg hunt, which was eggcellent, if I do say so myself. |
 |
| me looking semi normal with Fats at the braai |
Sunday we went to Arts on Main with Curtis, where we haven’t been in a pretty long time. I just love it- its this market houses in a sort-of warehouse type building and one big room has loads of different food vendors, from bagels to Ethiopian food to macaroons to Mexican food. Really amazing stuff. There’s also a rooftop bar which was blasting salsa music, and people were just laying in the sun, having a few drinks, and enjoying the gorgeous weather. Since Curtis, Lauren and myself are members of a dessert club, we felt it was our duty to try some of the decadent brownies offered at the market and they were magical. I really wish there wasn’t such good dessert in this city, sometimes.
 |
| Arts on Main- you can see the rooftop bar across the way | |
|
 |
| This is how excited you get for finding free internet, which allows you to check your Facebook and simultaneously finish reading the Hunger Games series! |
 |
| Lauren, Shannon and Curtis, chilling at Arts on Main. Love Curtis' shoes. |
This week at work is a blessed four-day work week due to the upcoming Easter holidays. Monday was a bit of a blur, as we had a lot of people coming in to be tested. I’m getting very comfortable with that part of my work, and am really glad that I’m not squeamish at blood. An interesting thing is that most of the people who say they hate blood are very interested in their own blood, and some even ask if they can help press some of it out for me to collect for the HIV test. Just a little tidbit from my job. I was also very grateful for the lack of positive results that I had to give on Monday, as there were far too many in the previous week. I’m recognizing that I’m showing signs of burn out, especially as I’ve been doing some ongoing counseling and its just an endless line of people in the afternoons. I discussed this with my supervisor, and I’m going to be alternating with the postnatal department and the HIV department to give myself a bit of an emotional break, which I think will be very needed. After this annoying work quarantine, tomorrow I’ll be jumping back into it, which I’m glad about. You never realize how much you’re truly enjoying what you’re doing until you can’t do it and realize you’d rather be pricking peoples’ fingers than sitting at home!
Heading out to Splashy Fen Music Festival for this Easter weekend- a giant group of us will be camping for 3 days, listening to loads of live music, and enjoying the last days of summer. Can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment