Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cool Britannia

This awkward blog title is the name of the lame kitchy shop that's across the street from this Starbucks where Lauren and I are currently stealing wi-fi. To say we're exhausted is a wild understatement, but pretty valid nonetheless. We're trying to rejuvenate ourselves before we march back out onto the London streets and attempt to make our bodies adjust to the time difference. Thank goodness London isn't dreary and we're blessed with sunshine and 50 degree weather.


Yesterday seems like 5 weeks ago right now. I was strangely calm and not the least bit nervous in the morning, for some reason. Perhaps doing yoga and getting a manicure was perfect to keep my mind off things, who knows? I'd say the definite low point was when my bravado escaped me as Mack dropped me off at the airport. Always I question my sanity when I leave the country from my family, friends and love, but aside from a few tears I was pretty much good to go, knowing that this experience will be truly enriching and that I have the support of him and so many other people, which is an amazing thing.


Is this writing even making sense? I feel like my eyes are twitching, must be due to the 2.2 hours of sleep I got last night. Lauren and I had a relatively smooth flight, getting into London at the horrendous hour of 5 AM. After immigration, we got on the tube and went to Leicester Square before the sun was even up, and the only place open was a Pret a Manger. Refueled with some tea and croissants before going on a walking tour that included St. Martin-in-the-Fields church, where my mom recommended the Crypt Cafe which was as cool as its name suggests. We also journeyed over to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, waved hello to Peter Pan as he flew across Big Ben, and are now near Piccadilly Circus, trying to decide our next steps.


I'm sure the next time I write will be much more eloquent and coherant. Just wanted to make a brief post to let everyone know we're jetlagged but fine, and are going to make the most of the 6 hours we have left here in this awesome and amazing city. We arrive tomorrow morning in Jo-burg, where Lauren's family friend Linda will meet us and take us to her home where we'll be staying with her. Hoping the flight goes smoothly!


love!

3 comments:

  1. I thought you'd be pumped to hear that you're official on my Blog Roll - to be found amongst the ranks of Delightfully Tacky and Orchid Grey. You're pretty much famous.

    Enjoy London! Pip pip!

    XO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I love the Crypt Cafe! My family goes there every time any one of us in London! Good luck on your next flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I can imagine the exhaustion. It's so great that you have each other to boost energy levels!-Swathi

    ReplyDelete