Friday, January 27, 2012

You're invited to a pity party.

Yes, its sadly true. I'm in the midst of a full-blown pity party. I think its mostly due to feeling helpless, unhelpful and a bit useless here at my internship. This week has consisted mainly of sitting around, as our orientation schedule wasn't that full, there weren't that many post-natal clients, and no one seems to know quite what to do with us. I'm told this will pass once we get into our official job positions, but unfortunately all this down time leaves room for thinking. and feeling homesick. and thinking some more.

I'm scared that I won't get enough out of this placement, that I won't BE enough, or that I'm wasting time when I could be learning so so much. I'm trying to have patience but it's fa.iling me today. Something that might have set it off could be that we've had the run-around with using the clinic car. Lauren passed the driving assessment yesterday, and we were told we could take it home, and then found out we have to wait until Monday, which is fine. When we clarified this today, they said oohh no, you'll have to still be dropped up and picked off by the driver for another week but you can practice drive during the day so we know you're fine on the left side of the road.
I understand their concern, but again it just makes us feel housebound, and a bit like we're being babied. Different cultures- I think I need to again have more patience.
I just want to DO something meaningful, improve things, fix things and I don't know that I'll be able to do that here. I'm going to perservere with this, and hopefully next week will bring more clarity and opportunities for involvement and positive change.


Very glad it's Friday- not sure on weekend plans just yet, but we're going to meet up with the other two BC girls who are interning at Jesuit Refugee Service on Sunday which I am very very much looking forward to.

5 comments:

  1. I did my yoga for you on Weds. <3 Sending you all kinds of love and support from rainy MA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should blame all this on your mother! :) She has always encouraged you to make the most out of life and you have. It's hard to be patient when you know you have a limited time to do something but mark my words, in a week or two you will laugh at your concerns. They will find a place for you and put you to good use! They would be fools not to do so. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love getting all caught on your adventures Shannon. It will take time to get used to your placement, but I'm sure things will feel more positive as you find your place. Congrats on making it past the first round of the Fulbright! If you end up in Argentina next year, I will absolutely be visiting you. Have fun and relax this weekend with the BC girls :) We miss you!
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. completely understandable...i lasted a day and a half before getting hit by a bout of homesickness...i think it's necessary..and you feel better once it passes, or so i tell myself. much love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your kind words! I knew that I would get hit with homesickness/necessary pity parties, but I really appreciate everyone's comments!

    ReplyDelete