Thursday, March 22, 2012

The balancing act

This is the first time today that I've had a chance to get online- I was thrown, headfirst, into doing HIV pre-test, testing and post-test counselling all by my lonesome. It was crazy, to say the least, and I felt awful at my job but after about the 15th person whose finger was lucky enough to be pricked by me, I felt much more confident. and less like a headcase.

I've been considering writing a blog post about this notion of balancing for some time now, and I guess something compelled me today to actually write it. It helps to pretend like no one actual reads this nerdy blog, so I can attempt to be as honest and open as possible.
 I've been struggling with this notion of balancing a relationship and career for a while now- not just me personally, but other women entering into a sort of international social work career. I have yet to meet a woman working internationally who has managed to sustain both a successful professional career with a long-term relationship. This could be due to not having met enough social workers, but it leaves me with feeling less than hopeful. While I'm not in a great mindset to be delving into the nuances of my own relationship, I'm realizing that balancing both a partner and career aspirations seems virtually impossible. Who compromises? Do you have to let go of your own passions and dreams in order for your relationship to still exist? What if you decide to compromise and then realize you've settled for less than what you wanted? So many seemingly inane questions running through my mind.

It seems like an international career is difficult enough to enter into and maintain, so where does this whole partnership come into place? it's a strong man or woman who can handle letting their partner peace out of the country every so often, do their thing, and then come back filled with new personal experiences and having changed, as its only natural. Just some ruminations I've been having.

I have to say, I'm so inspired by the other fabulous women doing Global Practice- those maintaining long-distance relationships and those rocking out to their own life plans. It's really great when you see other females doing this kind of work, and doing it so well. Keeps me focused, and keeps me inspired to keep on following this absurd passion of mine.

2 comments:

  1. It must be tough for you, Krista, Sarah, and Katherine, but it is also really tough for the supportive men that you left. The later two i am sure are going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Pal. If anyone can figure out the balance, I'm sure that it's you.

    ReplyDelete