The school is in Deepsloot, about 10 minutes from the clinic. The girls were all clad in blue and yellow uniforms and quietly awaiting our arrival, and immediately I knew I'd love it when they yelled HIIIIII Shannnnnon when I said hello and introduced myself, and there was a bunch of giggling. We began by giving them a project in groups of 5- they had to create a group collage of what being an adolescent/teenage girl means to them. It was beyond awesome to see the final results- such a blend of maturity and innocence. One group had this theme of bravery- like respecting your body, eating healthily, and being proud of who you are, while another group had a collage that was focused on fun times, and included pictures of stuffed animals, cell phones and High School Musical (clearly loved that one). It was a great exercise because they worked really well together, and it allowed Lauren and myself to see what's going on in the minds of 12 or 13 year old girls. What was interesting was there was no mention of boys or dating or anything like that, whereas I feel like when I was that age the boy craziness/obsessiveness had already begun and our parents were driving us to the movies for a 'date'.
We talked about ground rules for the classroom, and then talked about what we're going to be covering- next week is all about sexuality, changing bodies, and your rights and responsibilities. We didn't have a ton of time so we ended by asking them to write any questions they have for us, anonymously, and we'd do our best to answer them. We just reviewed them over lunch, and um, well.. it wasn't as heartwarming as I thought. Apparently none of the girls have learned anything about puberty, and there were questions about 'is it true that I can't have peanuts when I'm menstruating?"- apparently this is a traditional belief that we'll have to be cognizant of when we answer the questions in class. There were other heartwrenching questions, like one that asked if they were raped while on their period, would they get pregnant? I don't even know how to comment on that. I think we're going to do our absolute best to make sure these girls get the knowledge they need to make safe and healthy choices, and I'm already so so glad to be a part of this project.
In other less heavy news, last night Lauren and I met up with Curtis at this little gem of an Italian/Jewish restaurant. While it was lacking in amazing desserts, it made up for with lovely pizza and this phenomenal couscous salad situation.
This weekend proves to be big fun- tonight we're laying low since this week has been L-O-N-G, and tomorrow we're celebrating St. Patty's day, hurray! Éirinn go brách! Not sure of the plan, but you can bet I'll be decked out in green and bragging that my name is Shannon.
Have a wonderful St. Patty's Day, Shannon. Your blog is wonderful. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteOhh those are some tough questions! Good luck, looking forward to see how it turns out. Happy St. Patrick's Day!! :D
ReplyDeleteenjoyed this post! :) hope the training continues to go well, tough questions and all! Will be able to see how their views on things change
ReplyDelete